Re: shadow passwd

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, dpk wrote:

 : With my many recent problems with my machine, I have decided to upgrade to
 : 1.3.  I think the developers have done a nice job with the instalation
 : disks, because I noticed a few added features that might help out new
 : users to debian/linux.  Anyway, I decided to go with shadow passwd this
 : time around, I know it's bad that I haven't gotten to it before, but
 : basically it was a toy for awhile... now I'm getting some usage/users on
 : it.  This brings me to my question.  Is there away to take my backup I
 : made of the /etc/passwd and convert it to the shadow passwd? I know for
 : Solaris that you can cut/paste users into /etc/passwd, then run a command
 : to move the encrypted passwords into the shadow file.
 :
 : I'm sorry to ask such a basic question, but I'm currently doing an ftp
 : install, so I don't have manpages/info on it, and I know the users want to
 : get back on as soon as possible.  I hope you can forgive me this once,
 : heh.
 :
I have a `shadowconfig on|off' at my system. I think that's what you're
looking for.
Isn't that one included with the shadow password package?

Remco.

--
// Remco van de Meent
//   email: remco@oloon.student.utwente.nl