Re: USR Modem Hangs Intermittantly

Hi

I bought a USR 33.6 sportster (same modem as is giving problems, only
the firmware is different) that had exactly the problem you all
describe.

The init string mentioned by one poster sets one of the registers (s12)
to 0. The command to do this is:  ATS12=0 It is said to help _some_ of
the modems with this problem.  This didn't help me at all.

I mailed USR (support@usr.com) who isuued an RMA for the return of the
modem. They replaced a chip, and the modem now works fine. Turnaround
was maybe 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.

--David

On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Kevin Traas wrote:

> > > I have heard that this is a problem with USR
> > > Sportsters and that there is an init string type fix.
> >
> >    This isn't a fix.  USR still has the problem, the symptoms of which
> are
> > exactly as you describe.  The init string "fix" is more of a kludgy
> > work-around that helps the problem in some/many cases.
>
> Well, what's the init string "fix"?  I'd like to know it too because I'm
> experiencing the same problem with my USR Sportsters that I'm using for
> remote dial-in - currently 6 of them....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin Traas
> Systems Analyst
> Baan Business Systems
> Langley, BC, Canada
>

> --

           LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [345]86 PC's available NOW!
David B Teague | User interface copyrights & software patents make
teague@wcu.edu | programing a dangerous business. Ask me or lpf@lpf.org

spy counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet Bosnia clipper
National Security Council explosion Treasury terrorist Delta Force bomb Iran
Mossad data encryption munitions Serbian hydrazine ammonium nitrate fuel oil