Re: [Q] How to create a FTP only account.. for...

> Hi all

Hi

> 	regarding this subject...  I have used /bin/true for ftp-only
> accounts but i need to go one step farther. I have a /home/webusers
> directory where i have user accounts who with web space only. Right now
> they ftp in and put there html files there. But the thing is they still
> have access to the rest of the machine. So..
>
> 	How can i have /home/webusers setup as a root dir (chroot
> environment)?

Set up wu-ftpd as your ftp server. Then put all users into one group. This
doesn't need to be the only group they are in. Call this group 'ftponly'
just to be obvious. Then edit the ftpaccess file and place a line
guestgroup      ftponly
in it.

Then put files like bin/ls, etc/passwd and etc/group into their home
directories just as if they were the home directory for an anonymous ftp
account. If you forget this they won't be able to do 'ls'.

Now you should be all set up. Don't forget to read the right man
pages so you understand what I am talking about (ftpaccess has its own
page).

> 	Also i'm not sure if i want then all grouped together in one
> group? Can anyone explain pros/cons for this?

I have no idea about really bad or really good things, but if they have
a umask 002 like in a standard Debian system, their primary group should
not be ftponly and their files should not be group-owned by this group. A
pro is of course that the thing with wu-ftpd actually works if they are in
one group.

Remco
--
Jean-Luc Picard: To baldly go where no man has gone before.