Re: Why is pine so slow?

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Joost Kooij wrote:

> > # default delivery mode
> > O DeliveryMode=background
> >
> > becomes
> >
> > # default delivery mode
> > O DeliveryMode=deferred
>
> Hmm, this one might be the answer for me.
>
> The thing about reverse dns lookups certainly rings a bell here, because
> my last mail on this topic took unusually long to get sent - and it had a
> rather largish list of cc:'-ed addresses.

It's the reason (although I doubt the above would fix it) that sendmail
takes a while to launch on a diald-connected machine.

I would strongly suggest the sendmail book for anyone who uses sendmail
(which is a hot topic on these lists some days!), along with the companion
desktop reference.  The reference can provide some neat insights that
otherwise get lost in the large book.  The book itself is daunting when
first viewed, but I found it to be quite readable.  I bought and read it
during my senior year here at Bucknell, and read through it cover to cover
straight through in about two weeks (that was the first edition) _while_
taking classes.  I caught up on the second edition while in Pittsburgh on
a training seminar (Micro$oft SMS, and you though sendmail was complex!)in
a few nights.  The initial spark for my performance tuning of sendmail
while handling Debian list mail came from an article on mailing lists and
~/.forward (p. 293 first edition, not explained but mentioned on p. 422
second edition).

Enough ranting...hope you've learned at least something.

Pete Templin
templin@bucknell.edu