"Too many open files"

Hi,

	I'm getting this message very often in one of the Debian Linux
machines I work with, and I have no clue of where to start looking. It's
not coming from the kernel since it's not logged along other kernel
messages, but it shows up in the console.

	The first time I saw it, it came from "fortune". But now it's
coming from various tex programs, lyx, ldconfig, and others.

	Ideas are very welcomed.

BTW, Kernel: 2.0.27 (I'm going to replace this with 2.0.29 soon)

			Marcelo Magallon