Re: Re[2]: Installation 1.3 failed, returned to 1.1 and upgraded

Boot the rescue disk. At the boot prompt, say:

	boot: linux root=/dev/sda7

Does it come up with the hard disk root?

> I enter
>        lilo -C /target/etc/lilo.conf
>getting
>        Map segment is too big.

This is a complaint about the size of /boot/boot.b, or whatever you gave
as the "install=" in the lilo configuration file. I suppose it's a LILO
mismatch between the yard disk and Debian.

> For example, I tried
>        /target/sbin/lilo  -C /target/etc/lilo.conf

It's generally easier to run "lilo -r /target", which treats the target
partition as the root. Then you don't have to put all of those "/target"
paths in the LILO configuration file.

If you have a way to temporarily disable the CD controller (it's on the
motherboard or on a card, I guess) you might do so, so that there is no
ambiguity about the SCSI controller being the boot device and the BIOS "C"
drive being your first SCSI disk.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--