Re: scsi controllers, bsd file system

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Rick Hawkins wrote:

> a-hah!  I've gotten somewhere--but it's not good.
>
> Once I connected the three scsi devices, I found that it finds all 3.
> But . . . The last device in the list does not get a /dev/srX entry.
> Thus with jus a cd and a zip in the chain, the cd gets one, but not the
> zip.  With both cd's & the zip, both cd's but not the zip.  with just a
> cd, nothing gets one.  e.g.:

> scsi0 <fdomain>: BIOS version 3.4 at 0xc8000 using scsi id 7
> scsi0 <fdomain>: TMC-18C30 chip at 0x140 irq 11
> scsi0 : Future Domain TMC-16x0 SCSI driver, version 5.44
> scsi : 1 host.
>   Vendor: SONY      Model: CD-ROM CDU-8001   Rev: 3.2i
>   Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 01 CCS
> Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
>   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100           Rev: D.09
>   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> and there should be, but isn't, a recognition that the zip is id5 and
> sr1.

Is SCSI termination correct for all tested combinations?

The fdomain card should have a jumper (w4 usually) for termination. Is it
in or out? If the board is not labeled, I can look up the setting.

Are all devices on one cable or do you have both internal and external
cables in use?

> Also, i think the nec drive has a problem.  I can mount my kids cds as
> iso devices in the apple drive (don't know how far i could read, but at
> least the beginnings), but not on the nec (which hangs).

Maybe testing the nec as the only device with proper termination at each
end would help.

> I can't mount these cd's that you've so generously sent, though.  I've
> tried iso9660 and ext2.  Are they possibly msdos?  (i'm compiling more
> modules for this at the moment).

They are iso9660 and if you mount them on a dos or windows system they
should even be readable, but with 8.3 filenames. I have tested a lot of
them on my funky 2x soundblaster, which often gets errors on silver
CD-ROMs and they play well. If you can pop them into somebody's w95 or dos
pc, it will assure that they are readable. It's possible that the kid's
CDs appear OK because the directory is small, hence less transfer needed
to mount it.

What message do you get when you try to mount these CD's?

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +