Re: Kernel "make config"

On Jun 25, Lalovic, Drazen wrote
> I have just installed debian 1.3 and downloaded some packages from the
> ftp site. Since I want to use it as a firewall I have to recompile
> kernel to enable IP forwarding.
> How can I do it? How to configure second Ethernet card.

Hi,

install Package: doc-linux (perhaps only temporarily).

fetch a cup of coffee and read
$ zless /usr/doc/HOWTO/Firewall-HOWTO.gz

for compiling a kernel install Package: kernel-package (it will make
your life easier).

try following recipe:
1) install a kernel-source package
2) cd /usr/src/linux
3) make xconfig OR make menuconfig OR make config
4) make-kpkg clean
5) make-kpkg -r=custom.1.0 kernel_image
6) dpkg -i ../kernel*.deb
then reboot and test.