Re: from 1.3 to hamm

> I've successfully completed the 1.2 to 1.3 update on all my current
> packages (love that dselect). And now I see some updates and bug-fixes I
> would like to use starting to show up in hamm (I already have xfree and
> xemacs19), however, I see that more of them are being compiled with the
> new glibc6.
>
> What are the issues in converting to the new glibc?

Basically, it's going from the debian-user to debian-devel
mailinglist. I see a lot of questions from people using "unstable"
in debian-user, but as far as I know, debian-user is primarily for
the stable distribution.

> Is there a suggested path to follow in beginning to migrate in that
> direction?

Basically, if you've got the unstable versions of libc5, and ldso,
then all you need to do is:

dpkg -i libc6_2.0.4-1_i386.deb

Some/most packages also depend on other libc6 compiled libraries,
that currently aren't in unstable yet (waiting in incoming).
So, you'll have to get them from masters' incoming.

About the stability:
Just installing libc6 will not break anything on your system, except
"who" (will not show any output any more). Installing other libc6
libraries/packages will probably not break anything eigher (it didn't
on my system, anyway), except installing the libc6 compiled screen:
that messed up my utmp/wtmp files. Maybe it's best to backup those
if you really need them.

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj