apcupsd, genpower, and PowerShute(TM) "Black" cable.

I have just tried to get two APC Smart UPS v/s 650s up and running in my
department but unfortunately, genpower does not support the cable, a black
PowerShute(TM)  cable with serial number 940-0024C. I have genpower
running with my APC Back-UPS 400 and cable 940-0020B successfully after
figuring out I should use the tripp-nt cable type using gentest. gentest
is a program that monitors the serial port and displays which line goes
high or low when the ups is unplugged. This is a great program to figure
out if the response of your cable fits one of the cable configurations
compiled into genpower. However, when I ran gentest in every way possible
using the black cable, there was no signal at all. I then tried statserial
and again, there was no signal (note I put my cable on the new ups to make
sure it was working and it worked fine). This leaves me with a couple of
questions:

1) Does anyone know how I can figure out a new cable specification for the
   940-0024C when gentest and statserial are no help?

2) I have found another non-debian package called apcupsd which does
   support this cable and most other APC cables. It also supports smart
   mode which is not supported in genpower. Moreover, it is GPLd. I would
   be happy to package this for debian if there is no objections/some
   demand.

Any comments? Cheers, Colin.

--
	  Colin R. Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
		School of Policy Studies, Queen's University