remote shell command authentication ...

I'm having trouble with this between two debian machines.  I am
not running PAM at all and have netstd 2.10-1 on one and 2.12-1
on the other.  libc5 are 5.4.17-1 and 5.4.20-1 respectively.

I have (after some frustration with explicit entries, as well as
ALL: ALL) removed hosts.deny and hosts.allow on both machines.  I
have a + in hosts.equiv as well as .rhosts (just for testing
until I get this to work). The permissions have been 644, 411,
600, 655, 444, 555, and no change.  rsh gives permission denied,
rlogin and telnet -r (or -a) both prompt for a password.  rexec
gags altogether.

Scenerio: host "A" is the lower versioned hosts (1.2 mostly), and
host "B" is the higher versioned host (1.3 pre-release).  rsh,
rlogin, telnet are the same between hosts.  rexec from A to B
hangs, and from B to A gives a
"rexec: Error in rexec system call: Illegal seek"
error.  The /etc/host entries have been a list of hostname
hostname.FQDN hostname.NISdomain in every possible combination
on both sides with no difference in behavior.  Both systems can
rsh to a Solaris machine with no problem.  I've read the rlogind,
rshd, and telnetd manpages and am clueless.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I'm not currently subscribed,
but am trying to get subscribed to debian-user-digest.  Please CC
me in your response at either robertor@typhoon.co.jp (my new
address) or richr@bear.com (or both).

Incidentally, the web based subscription service doesn't appear
to be working.  Also, the archives are pretty old.

Thanks in advance.

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com
011-81-3-3437-7967 - Tokyo, Japan