Re: Best Strategy to install Debian 1.3 - partitioning matters

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Eddie Katz wrote:

> I am surprised to see that with Debian installation you require /usr/local direc
> tory. I am new to Debian (not to LInux), have a 1.3 installed and my /usr/local
> is completly empty. I believe that dpkg installs everything in /usr/lib. Is ther
> e a way, using dpkg, to install certain packages in /usr/local ?

/usr/local is for programs you have compiled and/or installed yourself and
that are not registered with the debian packaging system.
If the programs are used by only one user, you could also install them in
that user's $HOME.

If you want to know all about the reasons and philosophy behind the
organization of the filesystem(s), just go ahead and read the:
- debian policy manual;
- debian programmers manual;
- filesystem standard;
You can find these sort of documents in the debian-doc package.

Cheers,

Joost