Re: Any hints on using NAS audio?

Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> No sound comes out when I do:
>
>  auplay /usr/lib/tkdesk/sounds/halt.au
>
> This is my first attempt at using NAS or playing any sort of
> audio file.  My kernel is compile with proper support for my
> sound card, as well as /dev/audio support.
>
> I have installed nas, and the deamon is running:
> root       116  0.0  0.5   944   360  ?  S     11:28   0:00 /usr/X11R6/bin/au
>
> I can play CDs, but nothing comes out when I play audio files with auplay.

CD audio doesn't go through the WAV (/dev/dsp) device. It goes
straight through your sound card's mixer and out to the speakers.

> I also trying `bplay', and catting the file to the audio device:
>
> # bplay /usr/lib/tkdesk/sounds/halt.au
> bplay: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
>
> # cat /usr/lib/tkdesk/sounds/halt.au > /dev/dsp
> bash: /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
>
> # cat /usr/lib/tkdesk/sounds/halt.au > /dev/audio
> bash: /dev/audio: Device or resource busy

Try 'fuser /dev/audio' to see who's using the device--it's probably
that au daemon.

> Any hints?
> Does the fact that CDs play mean that audio files should also?

No, as I explained above.

Or is
> could my sound card still not be correctly setup?

Yup this could be it. Your WAV audio could also be mutted out in the
mixer (this is unlikely I think). bplay never worked right for me
anyway. wavplay I like alot. What do you get from 'cat /dev/sndstat')

ASIDE: How come we have /dev/sndstat rather than something under
/proc?

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com