Re: First impressions on installing Debian 1.3 (and an idea!)

> I was thinking that perhaps this might be a
> decent Java application:  you could write essentially the same code to
> run locally in your Java-enabled kernel,  and those with web sites that
> mirror debian packages could use the same code (with a few modifications)
> to run in Netscape across the net and find/display package info,  so that
> you could run the system ON the FTP site ...
> 	Don't know how excited the sysadmins would be tho.
>
>                      					Will

I think this is a very good idea - imagine when Debian is ported to other
hardware platforms and (dreaming maybe) other OS's - one JAVA application
could handle the  installation regardless of Hardware and OS.

The only Kernel that would *have* to have Java support compiled in would
be the one on the rescue disks.  The system could install a different kernel
that would not have JAVA support.

What would *really* be nice would be a browser that had more capabilities
than Lynx - yet still worked on a tty.  Maybe provide FRAME support via
a UI like that in QuarterDeck's (sp?) Manifest.

The user with bare-minimum hardware could use Lynx - the user with SVGALIB
support could use the new browser - someone with X could use Netscape or
any other X-based browser.

If all of the Debian Admin tools could be written in JAVA/CGI and put into
HTML pages, this scenario would be pretty cool!

Chuck

--
Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	(419) 529-3841