Re: First impressions on installing Debian 1.3

Peter S Galbraith <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca> writes:

> >From a guy who has used Linux since 1993 or so, I found the installation
> to be non-trivial:

>  - I didn't really like the interface of dselect.  It's easy to get lost in
>    there.  Perhaps changing the background colour according to the context?
>    (different background colour during conflict resolution;  this package
>    suggests this other (in blue foreground); this package conflicts
>    altogether (in red)).  I know dselect has a terrible complicated job to
>    do.  That's why i think it deserved a bit more polish.  After all, it's
>    the first reall interaction a user gets with Debian.

There is a project which is working on replacing dselect.

I'd like to suggest you to install/use packages like menu and dwww. You will see how
powerful is the distribution.

--
Alair Pereira do Lago  <alair@ime.usp.br> <http://www.ime.usp.br/~alair>
Computer Science Department -- Universidade de S~ao Paulo -- Brazil