First impressions on installing Debian 1.3

These are my first impressions, feel free to just delete this post.

>From a guy who has used Linux since 1993 or so, I found the installation
to be non-trivial:

 - The use of a single boot disk didn't help me with my Adaptec SCSI card.
   I *think* there are alternative kernels in some directory, but none were
   found on my TRI-linux CD.
 - I think standard Unix jargon should be included as well as more
   accessible language.  For example, I didn't realise that `initialize a
   disk' meant to reformat it's filesystem, deleting everything on the disk.
 - I didn't really like the interface of dselect.  It's easy to get lost in
   there.  Perhaps changing the background colour according to the context?
   (different background colour during conflict resolution;  this package
   suggests this other (in blue foreground); this package conflicts
   altogether (in red)).  I know dselect has a terrible complicated job to
   do.  That's why i think it deserved a bit more polish.  After all, it's
   the first reall interaction a user gets with Debian.
 - dselect wouln't `install' because the teTeX packages appeared to be damaged.
   Problem persisted even when the offending packages were deselected,
   until I quit and restarted dselect.  This was quite aggravating.
 - After X was installed it wouln't start because /dev/tty0 didn't exist.
 - Once started, very few fvwm95 menu entries used mini-icons.  Too bad.

On the other hand:

 - I can install Slackware much more quickly than Debian, but then I have
   to install extra stuff like Dosemu on my own, whereas a lot of stuff
   is included with Debian.  It'll take me weeks to explore the possible
   packages I could install.
 - The docs appear to be quite extensive.  It'll take a lot of time to sort
   it all out!

A question...

 - I assume that the list of installed packages is in some file.  Is it
   possible to transfer this file to another PC to instruct Debian to
   install the same pacakges?  I often install on several PCs and this
   would be a nice feature.

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist             <galbraith@mixing.qc.dfo.ca>
Maurice-Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada