nec scsi controller

I have nearly everything working; i've even mounted afs.  The last piece
is the scsi cdrom.  It's a NEC 16 bit controller, probably about 3 years
old.  As near as I can tell from the kernel documentation, I need the
eato driver.  I compiled this into a kernel, but I get:

bash-2.00# mount /dev/sda3 /cdrom -t iso9660
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda3 as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

however, the driver is built into the kernel.

rick