Re: Netscape uses SOCKS host for local servers

Kirk Hilliard wrote:

> How do I get Netscape to not use a SOCKS host for machines in my local
> domain?
>
> I am running "Mozilla/3.01Gold (X11; I; Linux 2.0.27 i586)" on my
> Debian 1.2 box, which is on a network behind a (SOCKS 4) firewall.
> After I set "Options/Network Preferences/Proxies" to "Manual Proxy
> Configuration" and filled in the "SOCKS Host" field it had no problems
> getting through to the outside world.  However, it goes through the
> SOCKS host even to contact local http servers.  (This is a problem
> because the SOCKS host is in a different building to which I am
> connected with only 10Kbps pipe.)  I set the "No Proxy for" field to
> the local domain name but this had no effect.
>
> "Mozilla/3.0Gold (WinNT; 1)", similarly set up to use the SOCKS host,
> connects to local http servers directly, even without an entry in the
> "No Proxy for" field.

It looks like the 'No Proxy For' field does not accept widcards.  So
saying No Proxy for *.foo.com would still take you to bar.foo.com
through your configured proxy (in your case, the SOCKS 4 host).

One solution I can think of is using the 'Automatic Proxy Config'
feature.  For more info on this, read -

http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

Sudhakar
--
 "If something goes wrong...blame the guy who can't speak English."
                         -- Homer Simpson