Re: setting & switching screen densities

On 20 Jun 1997, John Goerzen wrote:

> > easiest way is to edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file.  Mine looks like:
>
> Better: edit XF86Config and specify a default color depth.

I prefer to edit the Xservers file. That way I can have both a 16 bit
and an 8 bit per pixel display, and changing the depth is easier - I
don't have to search through hundreds of lines of X config to find the
line that needs changing:-)

Anyway, it's xdm's job to run as many X servers as I want, in whatever
bit depths I want. I see /etc/X11/XF86Config's role as telling the X
server what my card and screen are capable of (i.e. low level hardware
config only), and /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers's function is to tell xdm to
start up X in whatever mode(s) I want.

the only time i've ever really needed the 8bpp display was when i wasted
half a day looking at quake.  Nice game.  Once the novelty wears off,
though, it's just an improved doom.  i guess i'm just not into games very
much :-)

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract