Re: Is it possible to force the serial port IRQ's?

Howdy Carlo!

Yes, there is a utility to manipulate the serial ports - it's called
setserial.  It's available of the Debian FTP server as:
/debian/unstable/binary/base/setserial_2.12-4.deb

Once installed, check out the man page:
man setserial

Also, check out:
/usr/doc/setserial/README

> Hello All:
>
> I have a PPro 200 system which I dual boot between Windows95 and
> Debian Linux (most of the time!).  I also have an internal modem installed
> on COM2 so I have used the BIOS to set the on-board serial port to COM4
> with IRQ 11 (this is an option for my motherboard which I have not seen in
> others).  Under Windows95, the COM4 is properly detected with the correct
> IRQ, in Linux, however, both COM2 and COM4 are autoprobed as IRQ 3.
>
> I have noticed an analogous situation when I disabled the second COM port
> in the BIOS but Linux finds it anyway.  It seems that Linux does not pay
> attention to these BIOS settings.  Is there any way for me to force it to
> pay attention?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carlo

>     *                            Carlo U. Segre                           *
>     *      Department of Biological, Chemical and Physical Sciences       *
>     *        Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL 60616          *
>     *   Voice: (312) 567-3498                      FAX: (312) 567-3494    *
>     *                            segre@iit.edu                            *

Chuck Stickelman, Owner			E-Mail:	<stick@richnet.net>
Practical Network Design		Voice:	(419) 529-3841
9 Chambers Road				FAX:	(419) 529-3625
Mansfield, OH 44906-1302 USA