Multiple kernels & /System.map

Is there some way to pass an alternate name from /System.map (or
/boot/System.map) to the kernel at boot?  I'm mucking with a
custom kernel but want to leave the 2.0.30 image safely intact.
I've setup lilo.confto recognise /vmlinuz.2.0.30 as a valid
kernel but can't figure out how to seperate the system.map files

Stephen
---
"Normality is a statistical illusion." -- me