Re: problems with Adaptec AHA2x4x at installation

On Thu, 19 Jun 1997, schaffer wrote:

> I have tried unsuccessfully tried several versions of Debian on machines
> with Adaptec 2x4x SCSI adapters.  I haven't gotten around yet to see how
> the kernel is actually configured, but on bootup it recognizes the adapter
> and tries to initialise it ending in a kernel panic situation long before
> it tries to install the device drivers from the drv disk.  I suspect that
> this is the cause of the problem.
>
> I have tried to fix the situation by building a custom kernel with the
> AIC7xxx driver compiled in,  but I didn't manage to find a configuration
> wher the kernel fit on the resq floppy and still is functional.  Does
> anybody have some suggestions.  I really want to get Debian up on my main
> machine.
>
> Would it be possible to build a boot kernel that uses only floppy and
> ram-disk before loading the necessary device drivers from the drv disk?
> Somebody mentioned that the SuSe distribution uses this approach.  This
> certainly would go a long way to solv my problem.
>
> Please reply by email: my newsfeed seems to carry this group only
> spuriously.
>
> Hartmann Schaffer

     Couldn't the problem come from other hardware?
     I have a Pentium 90 with Adaptec 2940, not the Wide one.
     Debian 1.1 needed a prebuilt kernel from the special ones in order to
menage the Adaptec 2940, but sometimes later this was no more necessary...
     ...I think I'm not daydreaming when I say that while installing the
Debian 1.2.4 base system the default prebuilt kernel immediately saw the
adapter correctly.
     Later of course I built a 'customized' kernel, its compressed image
is 357164 bytes. I could gzip and send the .config file to you if you want
to give a look.
     (Linux has been running very fine on this system since the very first
time I installed it on it, in Fall-Winter '95; I tried Yggdrasil, various
Slackware versions, RedHat, and Debian is now definitely my choice and I
have recently removed any distribution other than Debian.)

     Nicola Bernardelli <nbern@mail.protos.it>
messages will return even when I'm not at home.