problems with Adaptec AHA2x4x at installation

I have tried unsuccessfully tried several versions of Debian on machines
with Adaptec 2x4x SCSI adapters.  I haven't gotten around yet to see how
the kernel is actually configured, but on bootup it recognizes the adapter
and tries to initialise it ending in a kernel panic situation long before
it tries to install the device drivers from the drv disk.  I suspect that
this is the cause of the problem.

I have tried to fix the situation by building a custom kernel with the
AIC7xxx driver compiled in,  but I didn't manage to find a configuration
wher the kernel fit on the resq floppy and still is functional.  Does
anybody have some suggestions.  I really want to get Debian up on my main
machine.

Would it be possible to build a boot kernel that uses only floppy and
ram-disk before loading the necessary device drivers from the drv disk?
Somebody mentioned that the SuSe distribution uses this approach.  This
certainly would go a long way to solv my problem.

Please reply by email: my newsfeed seems to carry this group only
spuriously.

Hartmann Schaffer