Re: Boot linux from two linux partition

Hi!

> Hmmm.  I'm not exactly new to Linux, though I feel like it sometimes, and I had
> trouble with almost this exact problem.  I was trying to do Debian 1.2 and
> Debian 1.3 rather than Red Hat and Debian 1.3, and I was using separate
> physical drives, but I think the problem is the same.  The only solution I've
> found (I would be *very* happy to hear from someone who had a better solution)
> was to install LILO twice.  The first copy of LILO is almost exactly the same
> as your setup above, with the addition of
> other=/dev/hda4
>      label="Red Hat Linux"
>      loader=/boot/chain.b
>
> The second copy of LILO is installed in the boot block of /dev/hda4 (NOT in the
> MBR), and just boots by default into whatever setup that copy of Linux uses.
> Since I experiment with new kernel versions from time to time (part of the
> hazards of owning a dual processor machine), I also like to keep two kernel
> versions available in /etc/lilo.conf, so that there is always an old, working
> kernel available, no matter what sort of disaster^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H jdevelopment
> kernel I try.  That complicates the scenario, but not by much (just an
> additional entry in each lilo.conf).
>
> email if you'd like copies of my two lilo.conf files.
>
> Stephen Ryan   Debian GNU/Linux 1.3
> Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College

Some time ago, I had Debian and Slackware (Slack on hda4 and Debian on hdb2).
My approach for dual boot, for example in Debian was:
/etc/lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda
compact
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=20
# ZIP drive settings
append = "aha152x=0x140,11,7,1"

# DOS bootable partition
other = /dev/hda1
  label = win95
  table = /dev/hda
# DOS bootable partition config ends

# Linux bootable partition config begins
# Debian latest kernel
image=/vmlinuz
  root=/dev/hdb2
  label = Debian
  read-only
image=/mnt/slack/vmlinuz
  root=/dev/hda4
  label = Slack
  read-only

This means i have slackware mounted in /mnt/slack, and you have to do the same
in slackware.

It's not very elegant but it works!

Nuno Cândido