Re: How do i access drives?

> Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@is5.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> > After that you just execute as *root* :
> > mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /floppy
>
> You can also use the programs in the mtools package if you just want
> to access dos disks.  You will also need to add yourself to the floppy
> group (see "man adduser") first.

Even if you don't want to use the mtools package (e.g., because it will
not let any ordinary unix programs use the floppy), you don't need to be
root to use the floppy.
As root just add an entry to your /etc/fstab file like

/dev/fd0            /floppy          msdos umask=000,user,noauto  0  0

this will allow any user to mount the floppy (with 'mount /floppy') or
unmount it (typing 'umount /floppy'), and read from it and write to
it.  If you want to restrict the write access to group floppy, look up
the group number of floppy in /etc/group (in my case it's 25),  and use

/dev/fd0            /floppy          msdos umask=002,gid=25,user,noauto  0  0

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032