Re: Will ATI 3D Rage chips work with XFree86?

FYI, I am running an ATI 3D Pro Turbo PC2TV 8meg card (3D Rage
II-based) and it works very nicely (although the TV output doesn't yet
work under Linux.)

Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:

> Michael Tempsch <d1temp@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:
> > On 15 May, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> > Re: R. Chris Ross wrote:
> > Re: >      I wondered if the D3 Rage chip set boards would work with
> > Re: > XFree86.  They are supposed to be quite hot and someone offered to
> > Re: > trade me a Wincharge for one even up.
> > Re:
> > Re: Maybe I should grab the new 3D GPT once the chipset is supported in
> > Re: XFree?
> >
> > If my memories are correctl then the 3D Rage _is_ supported in XFree 3.2
> > and the 3D Rage II in XFree 3.2A...
>
> >From the XFree86[tm] 3.3 Release Notes:
>
> 3.11  Mach64 server
>
>    o Support for 3D Rage II based Mach64 cards is included.
>
>    o Various problems with support for some revisions of CT, VT and GT chipsets
>      have been fixed.
>
>    o It is strongly recommended that all users with CT, VT, GT and 3D Rage II
>      based Mach64 cards upgrade to the 3.3 release due to the problems that
>      were fixed.
>
> > 3.2A is not available as a .deb package, but I've seen several reports
> > of people simply replacing the Mach64 Xserver binary from 3.2 with the
> > one from 3.2A. Haven't tried this myself, but did do a similar thing
> > under Slackware last fall (3.1.2->3.1.2F) so it'd seem reasonable...
>
> XFree86 3.3 should be available in `unstable' real soon now, as soon as
> Mark Eichin feels it's right.
>
> - Hari
> --
> Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ harinath@cs.umn.edu
> "When all else fails, read the instructions."      -- Cahn's Axiom
> "Our policy is, when in doubt, do the right thing."   -- Roy L Ash
>

> --

John Goerzen          | Running Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    |
jgoerzen@complete.org |