Re: ack! x has been hosed

dwarf wrote,

> > _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> > giving up.
> > xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
> > xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

> I can help you with this last one. The base system doesn't create the
> device tty0 with the resulting above error message. Cd to /dev and run:

> 	./MAKEDEV tty0

this helped; it also got rid of the startup messages about serial ports
. . .

> And try again. Once the package have been installed, you can create a new
> configuration file by deleting the old one in /etc/X11 and then running
> xbase-configure. You will need xfntbase and xfnt75 installed for this to
> work. If you have room I highly recommend installing all of the xfnt
> packages, as many programs use fonts without declaring any dependence and
> they will fail with font errors.

I now have *absolutely* no idea why this is working.  What I found from
diddling is:

with XF86Setup, and the SVGA server, i could get into x--at 320x200
(240?).

with xf86config, i couldn't get a working setup sor the S3;
generally the fixed font error.  switch /etc/X11/Xserver didn't help,
either; still errors from the SVGA setup with the server switched.

then i installed xserver-s3v --i have no idea what the relation between
this and s3 is --and got an unrecognized chip errror.  so i purged that,
and set Xserver back to svga.

voila.  X at 640x480, but the virtual screen isn't any larger.  for that
matter, i can't even tell how many bpp this is.  if it's 24, that would
explain things . . .

so:

1) how do i tell it what mode i'm in?
2) how do i set the default to 8?
3) for that matter, will the s3 chips do 1280x1024 under the vga16
server?  All I need (care) about color for is the code hi-liting in
emacs.
4) how do i figure out settings for XF86config  for screen
settings/sizes?  I'd like 640x480,1024x728, and 800x600 on 8 bit,
640x480&800x600 on 16, and 640x480 on 24 .  or 640x400 on 32 if it
forces me to 32.
5) do i need to sacrifice undergraduates to keep this working?  and if
so, to the screen, the software, or the hardware? :)