Re: xfig cannot handle colors in 16-bit mode

> Hello,
>
> I recently bought a new VGA card, and switched to 16-bit mode for X11,
> but I just found out that xfig can't handle colors now.  When I try to
> select a color, xfig prints the message "Can't allocate necessary
> colorcells, can't popup color panel".  This is obviously true, since
> X11 doesn't allocate color cells in 16-bit mode, but it is not
> necessary.  Is there a workaround to tell xfig to use the existing
> colors, or can I tell X11 to simulate a writeable colormap?  I didn't
> see that a bug report has been filed on this yet.

I'd don't use xfig, so no specific answer. If you have enough RAM,
try to get X into DirectColor mode. BTW, there are reasons why one
would like to use a color map even with 32 bit colors: when we want
to change colors without repainting all the image. This is used as
well for animations as for color (gamma, etc) corrections.

--
Ciccio C. Simon
ciccio@arrakis.es