xfig cannot handle colors in 16-bit mode

Hello,

I recently bought a new VGA card, and switched to 16-bit mode for X11,
but I just found out that xfig can't handle colors now.  When I try to
select a color, xfig prints the message "Can't allocate necessary
colorcells, can't popup color panel".  This is obviously true, since
X11 doesn't allocate color cells in 16-bit mode, but it is not
necessary.  Is there a workaround to tell xfig to use the existing
colors, or can I tell X11 to simulate a writeable colormap?  I didn't
see that a bug report has been filed on this yet.

Thanks for any information.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org