Re: Is there a Debian 1.3 "Unleashed" available?

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> > Is there anything excluded from bo or contrib on the Official Debian CD?
>
> No.
>
> > I hope so, because I use a lot of it for my (commercial) operations.
>
> We intend them to be OK for this.

Good. That means things haven't changed since I first viewed the readme
files and switched to Debian. I (and probably many of us) have likely used
restricted software unwittingly in our work and thus violated the terms
and conditions of usage. I noticed early on that whenever someone thought
a Debian package should be moved to/from non-free it was discussed in this
list. Another reason Debian is the best Linux. Correct me if I'm wrong,
but isn't the free SCO limited to personal use? I check the restrictions
on anything in non-free before I use it. I don't want my equipment
confiscated - something that could really happen to the business that runs
on unlicensed software.

> > Although I provide a free LDP mirror at wtop.com, I haven't included it on
> > CD because I am not sure if I can.
>
> I don't know the LDP's licensing policy, but I think the HOWTOS and stuff
> are in a Debian package.

They are. If they aren't in the dwww menu, they should be. I really
mentioned LDP as an example. I mirror it because the maintainer made it
clear I may do so and provided a username/password for the master ftp
site.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +