Re: Is there a Debian 1.3 "Unleashed" available?

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Paul Wade <paulwade@greenbush.com>
> > Re: stupid non-free restrictions
> >
> > Is there anything in non-free that can't be given away?
>
> I'd suggest you read the licenses in there really carefully. We don't
> make any guarantees about the way we have interpreted the software
> licenses, _even_for_programs_in_the_main_distribution_. Someone could
> pop up after you burn 1000 CDs and say that a certain package is non-free.

I understand that you can't make guarantees and put SPI in a position of
potential liability. Is there anything excluded from bo or contrib on the
Official Debian CD? Someone could pop up and claim that UNC, MIT, Georgia
Tech, Debian, and Greenbush owe royalties plus damages for each copy we
have given away. I try to read everything I can about the contents. I even
have read about installing on machines I don't have (alpha, etc.) in case
someone asks about them.

Is everything in main and contrib under GPL? I hope so, because I use a
lot of it for my (commercial) operations. I have included an advisory on
the CD to check usage and redistribution restrictions on anything from
non-free.

I have avoided using some packages in my own business. The license said it
was basically free for personal use, but didn't give any prices, email
address, or website for commercial use. I decided it was easier to use an
alternative package than to write and mail a letter.

I suppose I could include commercial demos, but I think people would
rather have the disk filled out with stuff from hamm and 2.1.x kernel
source.

Although I provide a free LDP mirror at wtop.com, I haven't included it on
CD because I am not sure if I can.