Re: Locales Problem?

Hi,

apparently, the locale problem is somewhat confusing.

First of all: I didn't install staroffice, but installed libc6 (without
-dev).

Locale works just fine (from what I can see):

bash$ locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_ALL=
bash$ date "+ %A %B"
 Monday June

bash$ export LANG=de_DE

bash$ locale
LANG=de_DE
LC_CTYPE="de_DE"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE"
LC_TIME="de_DE"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE"
LC_ALL=
bash$ date "+ %A %B"
 Montag Juni

The only package that makes problems is perl.
ii  perl            5.004-1        Larry Wall's [...]

Note: I had this version of perl working before installing to libc6
without any problems.

Now perl gives:

bash$ perl -v
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "de_DE"

This is perl, version 5.004
[...]

So my assumption is:
perl uses some "unofficial" functions of libc5, which don't work for
libc6 any more. (maybe I'm wrong; this is more the way in M$ world, but
it seems logical).

Just some more infos the relevant packages on my system:
ii  libc6           2.0.3-4        The GNU C library version 2 [...]

Package: locales
[...]
Version: 2.0.3-4
Replaces: localebin, wg15-locale
Depends: libc6
Conflicts: localebin, wg15-locale
[...]

There is a new version of libc6 (and assorted). I'll update the
packages, maybe it will solve the problem.

Ciao,
	Martin