Re: POP mail questions

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Stan Brown wrote:

> 	What I would like to do is contimue to use my Netcom address, download
> 	my mail for local reading, and uplad outgoing mail such that it still
> 	show Netcom as the point of origin.
>
> 	I have a couple of questions about this.
>
> 	1. Is POP a good way to do this?

POP is okay, IMAP is better ;>

> 	2. If so what should I use for a POP clien? Remeber I want the mail
> 	   to be downlaoded on demand and placed in my ocalk mail spool area.

What I have done here is to setup smail and fetchmail. Fetchmail connects
to the UA IMAP server and then sends the mail into my local smail spool. I
can then use a local mail program for reading.

When I want to make a reply (like this one) I have pine configured to also
send it to my local smail which forwards it to my current direct upstream
mailer (which right now is NOT the UA's server). That mailer then handles
delivery of the email to it's destination. The from address is set to be
my UA address so any replys end up in that mail box.

I find this works very well, smail and fetchmail were not very hard to
setup at least and my outgoing mails get spooled till such a time that I
do actually connect.

Jason