Can't deinstall package

Hi,

I have a package "kernel-source-1.99.7" which for some reason is half
installed.  When I try to deinstall it I get this:

dpkg: error processing kernel-source-1.99.7 (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 kernel-source-1.99.7

When I try to install it, it just doesn't install.  (Presumably because
it is an old package and I don't have it on my system anymore???)

How do I get rid of it?

Thanks,