Unidentified subject!

heiko@lotte.sax.de, gvl@usa.net
Subject: SMAIL/smarthost/BIND error
BCC: hilliard@metrolink.net

Al Youngwerth <alberty@apexxtech.com> wrote:

> post.metrolink.net does not have a dns MX record. I don't think smail
> should give you an error if your smarthost doesn't have an MX record but it
> might. Try changing you smarthost to metrolink.net (it resolves to
> post.metrolink.net) and see if it helps.

     This solved the problem.

     Al's suggestion was the easiest and fastest one to implement.
Since it worked, I haven't tried the other suggestions, although I may
experiment with them later when I have time.  Several responders
recommended finding a new ISP.  That is high on my priorities, but
now I don't have to jump into it on an emergency basis.

     Many thanks to all who responded.

     My original question, abbreviated to save bandwidth, follows:

>      I am running debian 1.2.4, and use smail ver 3.2-3. I have
> configured it to use my ISP as a smart host.  /etc/smail/routers
> includes the following:
>
> smart_host:
>         driver=smarthost, transport=smtp;
>         path=post.metrolink.net
>
>      This has worked fine for many months until May 31.  Since then
> when I try to run the queue I get an error message similar to the
> following:
>
> khilliard@autometric.com: autometric.com matched by smart_host:
>     routed khilliard@autometric.com --> khilliard@autometric.com at
> post.metrolink.net
> transport smtp uses driver tcpsmtp
> transport smtp: BIND server failure: : Connection timed out
> write_log:Deferred TO:khilliard@autometric.com ROUTER:smart_host
TRANSPORT:smtp