Installing Debian Linux

  I have been attempting to install debian linux onto my Cyrix 6x86 PC
from the ftp.de.debian.org site.  I successfully downloaded the
installation disks (via windows 95), created a 300MB linux partition and a
linux swap partition, and got the basic OS functioning.
  When I ran dselect, i got the error messsage: "dpkg (subprocess) :
failed to exec C compiler 'gcc': No such file or directory", and "error
exit status 2"
  The program ran and I chose the "Access" option, and then the "ftp"
option. I entered "ftp.de.debian.org" as ftp site, "debian" as debian
directory, "anonamous", "-rmwh2.trin.cam.ac.uk" as password, and tried
both "y" & "n" in response to "passive mode".  The message : "Connecting
to ftp.de.debian.org" was displayed for a while, then the error message :
"etho : transmit timmed out, Tx_status 00 status 2000 Tx FIFO room 1512".

  I am not very familiar with UNIX, but I managed to find the
/etc/init.d/network file, and to display it using edit.  This is what it
said:
"#!     /bin/sh
 ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
 route add -net 127.0.0.0
 IPADDR = 131.111.193.137
 NETMASK = 255.255.255.0
 NETWORK = 131.111.193.0
 BROADCAST = 131.111.193.255
 GATEWAY = 131.111.193.62
 ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
 route add -net ${NETWORK}
 route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1"

The values for ipaddr, netmask,broadcast, and default gateway are those I
use on my windows setup (which works).  (I also have ip addresses for DNS
nameservers which don't feature in the above setup file).  There don't
seem to be any network errors on startup, and I can cause the error "The
network is unreachable" by changing the NETWORK value to a different
number.  I am attatched to the network through a 3-COM ethernet card on an
isa bus, both being plug and play.  The card seems to initialise OK during
start-up.

  Please could you suggest way that I could access the installation
packages through ftp.

  Thank you

  Richard Harran.
  95rmwh@eng.cam.ac.uk