Re: Upgrading 1.2 -> 1.3

On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Mark Phillips wrote:

> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libc.so (No such file or
> directory), skipping
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libm.so (No such file or
> directory), skipping
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libpthreads.so (No such file or
> directory), skipping

> The strange thing is though, that these files and directories to
> in fact exist.  Any explanations/solutions?

Sounds like a broken symbolic link.  Try "file /usr/lib/libc.so" or do an
"ls -l" on the files to see where they are pointing.

> Is it true that dselect can't handle missing files even if they're
> not needed?  Any way to get around the problem.  Debian is so big
> now that a solution needs to be found, other wise I will have
> tremendous problems installing Debian.

If you are making a special mirror (i.e. non standard), make a special
packages file using dpkg-scanpackages from dpkg-dev.  In the mounted
option of dselect, I point the "_main_ binary dir" to the root of my
mirror where my packages file for all packages exist.

HTH,
Brandon

-----
Brandon Mitchell                         E-mail: bhmit1@mail.wm.edu
  Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7877/home.html

"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
	--Linus Torvalds