Upgrading 1.2 -> 1.3

Hi,

I followed the instructions for upgrading from Debian 1.2 to 1.3 and got
the following errors:

# dpkg --clear-avail
# dpkg -i ldso_*.deb
(Reading database ... 31923 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ldso 1.8.5-1 (using ldso_1.8.10-2.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement ldso ...
Setting up ldso (1.8.10-2) ...
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libc.so (No such file or
directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libm.so (No such file or
directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libpthreads.so (No such file or
directory), skipping
# dpkg -i libc5_*.deb
(Reading database ... 31924 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc5 5.4.23-2 (using libc5_5.4.23-6.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc5 ...
Setting up libc5 (5.4.23-6) ...
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libc.so (No such file or
directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libm.so (No such file or
directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libpthreads.so (No such file or
directory), skipping

The strange thing is though, that these files and directories to
in fact exist.  Any explanations/solutions?

I continued on, using dselect.  When I had got up to the install stage,
dselect installed the first few packages, then came up with:

Running dpkg -iGROEB /root/store/debian/bo/binary-i386
find: /root/store/debian/bo/binary-i386/editors/emacs-czech_3.4-1.deb: No
such file or directory
find: /root/store/debian/bo/binary-i386/editors/jedsl_0.98.2-2.deb: No
such file or directory
find: /root/store/debian/bo/binary-i386/x11/gwm-doc_1.8c-6.deb: No such
file or directory
dpkg: subprocess find returned error exit status 1

installation script returned error exit status 1.
Press RETURN to continue.

Now at least I have an idea of what the problem is here.  The reason
why it can't find these files is because they are not there.  I
deliberately excluded them when I mirrored debian
[exclude_patt=(emacspeak_|emacs-czech_|jedsl_)]
because I know I don't want these packages and I haven't got enough
room on my hard drive to mirror the whole bo distribution.  I thought
I was being very clever by only downloading packages I was actually
going to install.

Is it true that dselect can't handle missing files even if they're
not needed?  Any way to get around the problem.  Debian is so big
now that a solution needs to be found, other wise I will have
tremendous problems installing Debian.

Thanks in advance for your help,