Re: Rescue disk hurts my ethernet card

The EEPROM getting scrambled is a result of drivers probing for devices
on the bus that don't happen to be there, and hitting the network card
instead. This happens more with the rescue disk than with a custom kernel
because the rescue disk is built for every scsi and ethernet card we could
fit in the kernel. If you can tell me about the I/O ports of your network
card we can give you magic words to put on the boot command line for that
device that reserve its ports and prevent other drivers from touching them.

This isn't strictly a Debian problem - it'll happen to any generic kernel
with all of the device drivers built in. Also, well-designed hardware wants
you to say the exact right magic words before it makes its EEPROM writable.
It doesn't write it for just any random I/O. I'd suggest that others stay
away from net cards that exhibit this behavior.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502