Mail broken :(

My email system on my Linux box at work has broken. It just stopped a few
days ago. I've also noticed several runq zombies.

When ps is used repeatedly, I can see that there's one copy of runq going
with the same process number, and another that keeps restarting and
incrementing the process number. The modem lights look like the mail is
being sent, and I get no bounce messages of any sort.

Any ideas what I might have screwed up this time?

Thanks,
Tim