Re: Locales Problem?

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Victor Torrico wrote:

> W Paul Mills wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Victor Torrico wrote:
> >
> > > Here is an error message received when I do dpkg installs on certain
> > > Debian packages such as xemacs for instance.  Everything seems to work
> > > OK.
> > >
> > > perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> > > perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> > >         LC_ALL = (unset),
> > >         LANG = "us"
> > >     are supported and installed on your system.
> > > perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
> > >
> > > Should I be concerned about this message and how do I correct this
> > > situation?
> >
> > Change your LANG variable to LANG="en_US". That should solve it.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I tried putting LANG="en_US" in my .bash_profile and still get LANG=us
> when I do an env. As you can tell I'm a unix/linux novice.  What am I
> overlooking?
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying.  We have had company recently.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Victor

When you change something in .bash_profile ( providing
you are using bash ) you must either sign off and back on,
or source the file. That is type:

source .bash_profile

This causes bash to reread the file. Also make sure you export
the LANG variable. It is also possible that you have the
LANG variable set in another location. Note that bash reads from
several files depending on what is available. See the bash man page.

: W. Paul Mills          : Bill, I was there several years ago.     :
: Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A. : Why would I want to go back tomorrow?    :
: wpmills@midusa.net     : Where were you!                          :
: paulmills@bix.com      : Linux:     Tomorrow's operating system,  :
: paulmills@aol.com      :            here, today.                  :
: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
 --------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------