xterm -ls not logging in utmp??

I noticed that when I was logging in with xterms that my login's were
not being recorded in utmp.  I have the *loginShell resource set
true.  So I tried a command line 'xterm -ls' and got this warning:

Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged

If I do 'rxvt -ls' I don't get any error and the utmp file is updated.

What is causing the error and how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Brian