Re: xforms, offix: what are they?

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Randy Edwards wrote:

>    I've got two packages installed which dselect reports are obsolete.
> They're xforms 0.81-4 and offix 2.3a1.  Does anyone know what they are and
> whether it's safe to remove them?
xforms is a library for creating X applications, offix is a set of X
clients (file manager, trashcan, ...).

X-Forms is used by some programs such as LyX but I don't know how much
other programs use it. What I know is that a 0.86 version of the library
is available which is *not* compatible with the older one, so if you use
LyX, you'd better not upgrade now.
Offix is quite independent (it mainly depends on the Dnd library), so you
may upgrade it.

>    I also have a copy of linuxdoc-sgml 1.5-4 installed which dselects also
> reports as obsolete.  Does anyone know what the status of this package is?
Sorry, I don't know.

Hope it helps
Seb.