XFree86 problems

I'm trying to install XFree86 using the unstable 3.3 distribution, since
I mave a Matrox Mystique.  Everything was going well, until I ran startx,
whereupon I received the following error message:

fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
giving up.
xinit:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

Would someone be willing to point me in the right direction so I can
solve this problem?  Thanks.

* Robert Kerr                      *
* Robert_Kerr@byu.edu              *
* http://www.et.byu.edu/~kerrr     *