Urgent help needed...

Please help me, I am in a pickle here...

I have a Debian 1.3 system and I decided to try to be more secure.  I
installed ssh, ssleay, ssltelnet and pgp-us last night.  I noted that
ssh is supposed to deal securely with Xauth type issues.  I successfully
got ssh to pipe xclock over the link.  It would also bring up xfmail (which
I need dearly), but would fail with

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  1931

(or sometimes a BadWindow error) when I tried to bring up any message.

I though that it must be some problem with ssh.  Then the same thing
started happening with ssltelnet.  Again, I thought that it was something
with the link.  I got in to work today and now xfmail fails with these
errors at the console.  xfmail worked fine yesterday, and the only things I
have added are ssh, ssleay, sstelnet and pgp-us.  I have since purged these
packages and even rebooted, but I still have these errors.  I have also
recompiled xfmail, but still the same...

I really need to read my mail, does anyone have any idea how to correct my
problem?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Paul

P.S. I am sending this from my wife's account.  Please at least CC any
replies to this address, too, as I am also unable to read any messages
sent to the group without the use of xfmail.
(Also, sorry if this got sent twice.  I wasn't sure it had gone through,
and with the urgency of the request, decided to risk double-sending it.)