1.2 to 1.3 upgrade

I'm upgrading from Debian 1.2 to 1.3 and saw the following on the web page:

   "This section is only for people who are upgrading an older
   Debian system... ...As root, run these commands:

    dpkg --clear-avail
    dpkg -i ldso_*.deb
    dpkg -i libc5_*.deb
    dpkg -i dpkg_*.deb dpkg-ftp_*.deb
    dpkg --purge --force-depends texbin"

So I downloaded:

ldso_1.8.10-2.deb
libc5_5.4.23-6.deb
dpkg_1.4.0.8.deb
dpkg-ftp_1.4.8.deb

from the 1.3 directory of ftp.debian.org (the closest site to me).
to a brand new sub-dir, which I cd'd to before running dpkg - i.

When i tried to install the packages, I recieved the errors below.
I'm not too worried about locale settings. My guess is that they can be fixed
without making the machine unusable.  I am, however, concerned about the
broken links that show up under libc5.

/usr/lib/libc.so and /usr/lib/libm.so both show up as broken symlinks.
/lib/libc.so.5 is a link to /lib/libc.so.5.4.23 and
/lib/libm.so.5 is a link to /lib/libm.so.5.0.8.

Should I link the /usr/lib stuff to the links in /lib
i.e. /usr/lib/libc.so->/lib/libc.so.5 or should I link them to the files
themselves i.e. /usr/lib/libc.so->/lib/libc.so.5.4.23?  I seem to remember that
some programs can't follow too many levels of links. Or was this all
a result of not having the locale settings correct?

I don't have texbin installed, so that package isn't an issue.

Sorry for the bandwidth, but I thought all of the error messages
should be here.

Thanks

------------Begin many error messages-----------------------
$>dpkg --clear-avail
$>dpkg -i ldso_*.deb
(Reading database ... 23409 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace ldso 1.8.10-1 (using ldso_1.8.10-2.deb) ...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed for the categories:
        LC_CTYPE LC_COLLATE
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = (unset),
        LC_COLLATE = (unset),
        LANG = "us"
perl: warning: Falling back to the "C" locale.
perl: warning: Setting locale failed for the categories:
        LC_CTYPE LC_COLLATE
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = (unset),
        LC_COLLATE = (unset),
        LANG = "us"
perl: warning: Falling back to the "C" locale.
Unpacking replacement ldso ...
Setting up ldso (1.8.10-2) ...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed for the categories:
        LC_CTYPE LC_COLLATE
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = (unset),
        LC_COLLATE = (unset),
        LANG = "us"
perl: warning: Falling back to the "C" locale.

$>dpkg -i libc5_*.deb
(Reading database ... 23409 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc5 5.4.20-1 (using libc5_5.4.23-6.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc5 ...
Setting up libc5 (5.4.23-6) ...
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libc.so (No such file or directory), skipping
ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libm.so (No such file or directory), skipping

$>dpkg -i dpkg_*.deb dpkg-ftp_*.deb
(Reading database ... 23413 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace dpkg 1.4.0.7 (using dpkg_1.4.0.8.deb) ...
[...]
Unpacking replacement dpkg ...
Preparing to replace dpkg-ftp 1.4.8 (using dpkg-ftp_1.4.8.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement dpkg-ftp ...
Setting up dpkg (1.4.0.8) ...

Setting up dpkg-ftp (1.4.8) ...
$>

----------End of many error messages----------------

"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine."

Rob MacWilliams   robmacw@cl-sys.com
N9NPU