Re: [META] Use of the list for non-Debian matters

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: George Bonser <grep@oriole.sbay.org>
> > [...] create a default fvwm popup menu when you click on the root
> > window.  The first item in that window is "Help on Linux". Selecting that
> > gives the next layer popup that includes links to such things as the woven
> > docs (FAQ's, HOWTO's, etc in HTML) and launches a browser to read them.
>
> > Seems to me the first step would be in deciding on a default standard X
> > window manager and then going on to the default menus from there.
>
> Our "menu" package already adds menus to _many_ different window managers,
> and to character-oriented shells as well. Our "dwww" package need only
> register a menu entry "Help with Linux", and it would appear. The biggest
> missing piece right now is that "menu" and "dwww" are not installed by
> default, and there should be an easy check box that gets the beginner a
> GUI-enabled system with them installed.

What are the security implications of a default installation of dwww?  My
understanding is that an http daemon must be active to use dwww.  Is this
correct?  I have yet to set up my own http servers on Linux boxes because
I am not confident in my understanding of the security issues.

Thanks.  Syrus.