Re: Shadow passwords under X...

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Curt Howland wrote:

> the X login started automatically at boot does not recognize
> any of the valid userID/password combinations.
>
> My assumption is that X does not know about shadow passwords,
> and from my investigations it seems I may be correct.
>
> 1) Is there a setting to make it work?

This is a problem with the order of installation. The work around is as
follows:

	shadowconfig off
	shadowconfig on

This will allow shadowconfig to notice that there is a shadow version of
xdm (that wasn't installed at the previous time shadow was enabled) and
install it in place of the shadow ignorant xdm.

This is being fixed in the next release (1.3.1) but the work-around will
get you the same product. (the new package will only deliver xdm-shadow as
it works fine in a non-shadow system)

Luck,

Dwarf