Re: Rogers Cable Access..a follow-up

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Richard Morin wrote:

> Hi Listers,
> As the proud new "user" of a cable modem from Rogers cable here in
> Canada and I can say that the configuration was very easy.  No need for
> dhcpd(sp?) clients at all.

Just thought i'd follow up as well with my experience..

i have Wave Cable through Shaw here in scarborough.  Shaw uses dynamic
ips, so i do have to run dhcpcd to grab my ip  address... naturally with
debian this isn't really a problem, just install the .deb package fro
dhcp.

I have a hub with 2 computers hooked to it, then to the cable modem - Shaw
is charging only $10 more a month for the second IP ... (Total $65 a month
cdn)

Note that not *all* cable operators are the same.  While WAVE is a
consortium of Canadian cablecos, the different companies use different
equipment.

Rogers uses Zenith modems, which go about 500k/s..  Shaw uses MOtorola
modems, which go 10mbits upstream, and 768k/s downstream.  Quite a *BIG*
difference there.

But with my modem, i can definitely say it makes Linux all the more
enjoyable! :)

-Stu