rsh or ssh and authorization over a masqueraded connection.

Is it possible to set up password free logins (for rsh or ssh) to a
server via a masqueraded connection?  I spent quite a bit of time
recently trying to figure this out, and it seemed like the host really
didn't want to let this happen.  Something about incoming connections
from a non-privileged port being used.

  [ server ] --- ppp --- [ masquerading host ] --- [masqueraded host]

The connections go through without a hitch when I try from the
masquerading host but won't work from the masqueraded host, even when
I'm careful (for ssh) about the known_hosts and .shosts file contents.

Thanks
--
Rob